Solar PV dominates Feed-in Tariff Scheme

Solar PV is still popular with the British public, dominating the feed-in tariff (FiT) scheme for the number of renewable energy technologies registered under the scheme, accounting for a whopping 99% in 2012. 

The FiT scheme was launched in April 2010. During its first year 30,210 installations were registered. However, the second year of the scheme saw it really take off with 217, 741 registered installs between 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012 – a huge 620% climb from 2010/2011.

A total of 498.2GWh of electricity was generated compared to the previous years generation which stood at 68.6GWh. Exported electricity accounted for 104.4GWh from 1 April to 31 March, which was up from 14.9GWh during the scheme’s first year which ran from 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2011.

The report which was published on 19 December by the energy regulator Ofgem clearly shows that solar PV panels are by far and away the most favoured renewable energy technology out there, with 99% of all registered renewable energy installations. Wind, micro CHP, hydro and anaerobic digestion make up the remaining 1%.

By the end of March 2012 247, 951 installations were accredited as part of FiTs and accounted for just under 1.1GW of total capacity installed. Solar photovoltaic panels achieved 92% of total installed capacity, wind power accounted for 5%, hydro power 2% with anaerobic digestion bringing up the rear with 1%.

The report also features a regional breakdown of renewable energy installations and shows that the south of the country is leading the way for the uptake of renewable technologies. The South West is the best performer and has the biggest share with 44,593 installations (18%) whilst the South East has achieved a 16% share with 38,764 installations. At the other end of the scale London and the north of the country are the worst performing areas with 6,809 installations (3%) and the North East taking a 4% share with 9,025 installations.

To date nearly £136 million has been paid out to eligible customers as part of the scheme’s Generation Tariff, whilst Export Tariff payments have been slightly over £3 million.

Ofgem’s annual feed-in tariff report for 2011-2012 can be viewed in full at


Find local, MSC certified Solar Installers

Start your quote

Find local, MSC certified Solar Installers