Do I Need to Clean My Solar Panels?
In the UK, the vast majority of domestic solar panel arrays don’t need regular heavy duty cleaning thanks to the high levels of rainfall. However, the occasional clean will keep the panels free of dust and dirt which will aid maximum electricity generation.
Once cleaned, you could see the efficiency of your solar panels increase. And you can hold onto more of the energy being generated by your solar panels with a solar battery.
Get FREE Solar Battery Quotes
Do I need to clean solar panels?
Cleaning solar panels will make sure they’re generating as much energy as possible. If dirt was to build up on the solar panels then this can prevent the solar panels from capturing sunlight.
Plus, the better condition of the solar panels, the longer they’re likely to last.
How do I clean my solar panels?
You can either clean solar panels yourself or hire a solar panel cleaning service to do it for you. If you do decide to clean them yourself there are a few tips you can follow:
- If you cannot clean solar panels safely, do not attempt to get up on your roof. Instead hire a professional who has the correct equipment and knowledge to do so.
- You should always check with your solar panel manufacturer to see if your panels can be cleaned, without breaking or having an impact on your warranty.
- Avoid cleaning your panels when the weather is hot, as spraying cold water on very hot panels could potentially cause damage and smudging – instead try to clean them in the morning, evening or on cooler days.
- Don’t use any abrasive tools or products in case you scratch the glass. You should also avoid using any detergents that could cause streaks on the panels.
- The best tools for cleaning solar panels are a water fed pole with a soft brush, combined with a squeegee.
Things it’s important to know
When it comes to cleaning solar panels, there are a few things to keep in mind and potentially avoid:
- Don’t use abrasive materials
- Avoid hard water
- Try not to get the back of the solar panels wet
- Never wash the panels when it’s hot and sunny (early morning and evening outside of summer are best)
Cost of having solar panels cleaned
Rather than cleaning the solar panels yourself, you can hire a professional. This typically costs somewhere between £100 and £200. The price will vary depending on the size of your solar PV system and where the panels are installed.
Are solar panels effected by bird droppings?
Generally in the UK, unless your solar panels have bird droppings on them, you shouldn’t need to clean your solar panels.
There’s no doubt that clean solar panels will always perform better. But bird droppings are more likely to have an impact on your solar panel’s efficiency than dust and don’t always wash away with regular rainfall. You may have more of a problem with birds if you have a television aerial that hangs over your panels, as they are able to sit on these – right above your panels.
Bird droppings, especially in concentrated areas, can cause issues with solar panel efficiency as even a small amount of hard shading can reduce output dramatically. If you are having this problem you will likely need to engage in some solar panel cleaning on a regular basis to remove the build-up and could consider employing cruelty free bird deterrents to prevent it in the future.
Do self-cleaning solar panels exist?
Many solar installers now offer arrays that use self-cleaning panels. These work by using a hydrophobic coating that stops water droplets from sticking to the surface, as the droplets roll off of the panels they also take dirt and dust with them.
How to save more with your solar panels
Now that you have nice clean solar panels, it’s time to increase your energy savings. Clean solar panels are often generating more renewable energy than can be used in a home. The excess energy generated is sent to the National Grid.
Storing excess solar energy in a solar battery will allow your solar panels to power more of your day-to-day life.
Should I get a solar battery?
A solar battery stores excess energy generated by your solar panels. That way, instead of the electricity being sent to the National Grid, you can use it to power your home once the sun has gone down.
By installing solar panels (and keeping them clean!) you’re reducing your impact on the environment and saving money on your energy bills. With a solar battery, you can multiply these benefits even further.
These are a few of the many benefits of adding a solar battery to your solar PV system:
- Save more on your energy bills
- Continue to benefit from solar energy in the evening and at night
- They’re extremely quiet
- Some solar batteries can continue to power your home when there’s a power cut
Get free solar battery quotes today
If you’re looking to get even more out of your solar PV system then a solar battery can help.
By taking a moment to complete our simple online form, you can get free quotes from up to 3 solar battery installers near you. Comparing multiple quotes in this way will put you in the best possible position when it comes to finding a competitive price.
Get FREE Solar Battery Quotes