Solar PV Finance – Spread the Cost of Solar Panels
What is solar finance?
Solar finance allows you to break down the cost of a solar panel installation into manageable regular payments. This way you can take advantage of the environmental and financial benefits of solar without having to pay for your system upfront.
How does solar finance work?
Buying a solar panel system on finance means that the installer will fit your system and you will pay for it with interest over a period of time. Each solar finance plan will differ in terms of interest rates, payback periods and other factors so it’s worth comparing plans to find the one that suits your needs.
Types of domestic solar finance
There are two main types of domestic solar PV finance available to suit different needs, these include:
1. Rent a roof schemes (so called ‘Free’ schemes)
Rent a roof schemes, also referred to as ‘free solar’ is where a company will lease your roof for 20 to 25 years and will install and maintain the solar PV panels on it. You as the homeowner can then use the energy generated by the panels, and the company that installed them will receive the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) payments (i.e the money the government pays you for generating electricity via solar). However with recent reductions in FIT rates, the number of providers offering this may start to reduce. Examples of companies that offer this include A Shade Greener, Sustain Energy Solutions and AmberGreen Energy Ltd.
- You don’t have to cover any of the costs for the panels, installation, maintenance or insurance
- Use the electricity generated by the panels in your home
- There are no monthly payments, as these come from the Feed-in Tariff
Things to consider
- You will not benefit from the Feed-in Tariff as this goes to the company that installed your panels
- You will be contractually tied into keeping the panels on your roof for the full 25 years
- If you sell your home, the panels are passed on to the new owner which can put off potential buyers
2. Buy outright using a solar finance loan
If you want to own your solar panel system outright and receive the FIT payments for yourself then a finance plan can be the best long term option. You can pay back the cost of your solar system (with interest) over a period of time that suits your budget. Once the system has paid for itself in energy savings and FIT payments, your solar panels will be generating a clear profit from then on.
- Flexible payment options to suit your budget with many loans having a typical rate of 3.5% APR
- Break down payments across a period of up to 5 years
- Finance taken care of and organised by the solar installation company
- At the end of the loan you will own the PV system which can add value to your property
- Installation carried out by MCS accredited solar installers
Things to consider
- Interest rates may differ between providers
- Length of loan (upto 10 years depending on your requirements)
- There may be early repayment charges or over payment charges (but this will vary between different lenders so make sure to check
- Solar PV finance loans are usually unsecured
Apply for a Solar PV Finance Loan
Solarguide.co.uk can provide you with a free no obligation solar finance quote from our list of accredited solar installers who have finance options available. Not only will this help you find the best price for your solar installation, but also takes the hassle out of finding a separate finance provider. You may even be able to benefit from a finance provider that specialises in longer loan terms of upto 10 years, and who offer preferential loans that suit solar projects specifically.